Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Can You Say "Irrawaddy" 6,000 Times Fast?

According to Scientific American, the Wildlife Conservation Society has found about 6,000 of the rare Irrawaddy dolphins in Bangladesh...

...in the fresh waters surrounding the Sundarbans mangrove forest and in the nearby Bay of Bengal, areas where the WCS says little marine mammal research has previously been conducted. This discovery nearly doubles the estimates of the worldwide population for the rare dolphins, and represents the largest single population of the species.

Just think; if 6,000 Irrawaddy can be found in the waters around a mangrove forest, what other species could be alive that we don't know about? Makes me want to check in on the Census of Marine Life and see what else they've found since I last checked.

2 comments:

Eva said...

makes me want to go to bangladesh... ok not quite.

Liza said...

If I could see 6,000 Irrawaddy dolphins in one place... Yeah, I'd go to Bangladesh for that!